Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sunrise Ramblings

I watched the sunrise for the first time since, since….I can’t remember. I am not a morning person AT ALL. Mornings are when I sleep the best. But for some reason (duh, I hurt) I didn’t sleep well last night and keep waking up.

During my tossing and turning my mind had taken me into prayer, praise, and then the inevitable happened. Homeschooling concerns invaded my personal brain space. Curriculum concerns, teaching techniques, scheduling, discipline, and on and on it goes. That’s when I finally gave up and got up.

Gliding gracefully through the house….hee,hee,ha,ha….stumbling around like a bull in a china shop, I try not to wake the rest of the family as I headed to the coffee pot and then the computer. The electronic box of knowledge that gives me answers at the tap of my enter key. Oh great box please tell me what I should do to solve all my homeschooling/parenting/housekeeping/ (you fill in the blank) problems I face. I wait with great anticipation as my Google search page loads. Then instead of one simple answer I have thousands of possible answers to wade through, sift, chew, reject or accept. Good grief.

When I was a young mother raising my first batch of kids out in the country, life was simpler. If we wanted to research something we went to the library and if they didn’t have what we were looking for it must not exist. Now years later I have a child that makes my first three look comatose, and a computer that offers more info than my soggy brain could ever hope to process.

Here are a few of my random thoughts after my early morning of meditating, praying, and web surfing:

1. Teaching to your child’s learning style is more important than the curriculum you use.

2. Select curriculum according to your child’s learning style.

3. My child does not learn social skills simply by being around other children. We have to teach skills to him as the opportunity arises. So yes it appears that I am in the middle of things.

4. I refuse to apologize any longer for my sons ADHD. I am sorry if your kid can’t hang with my son’s ricocheting mental process. Don't worry - Wiley Coyote never caught the Road Runner either(at least for very long).

5. I also refuse to apologize for my son's idiosyncrasies. We really are trying very hard to help him recover from all he witnessed (endured) prior to us adopting him. Yes, we discipline him, we just have to pick our battles so we can survive each day. On the other hand, no we do not discipline him too much or without feeling or thought. I refer you to #3 and then add to the mix the diagnosis of Oppositional Defiance Disorder. Think about it.

6. I don't like arm chair disciplinarians any more than any other conscientious parent. However, by the time you have had to correct/redirect your one Polly Perfect child, I have had to correct/redirect my son at least a zillion times.
Also, I do live with the aftermath of a spinal cord injury. Just cut us a little slack.

7. Do I appear angry to you? I am not. Just frazzled. I refer you to #'s 1-6!

5. As always I can not take a single step without my Lord Jesus Christ!

Be Blessed and hug a hyper kid today!

1 comment:

AndreSue said...

You are an awesome writer. You should keep up with your blog!!